Employment Type: Part Time
Compensation: $25.00 / hour
Opening Date: March 17, 2023
Closing Date: Continuous
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The J. Lewis Crozer Library and Chester Eastside, Inc. have a shared purpose to empower, enrich, and enhance the quality of life for the communities of Chester by providing inclusive and engaging pathways to literacy and learning as well as equitable access to information, services, and opportunity. In collaboration, the organizations are seeking a dynamic individual who is passionate about youth literacy and supporting caregivers in their child’s development to serve Chester’s growing Hispanic/Latino population.
Grant funded; non-exempt; part time; 30 hours per week; 3:00 – 6:00 pm Monday – Friday; 10:00 am –
2:00 pm Tuesday – Friday; some Saturdays and evenings; health insurance stipend.
This position assists with the implementation of bilingual programming and services at the J. Lewis Crozer Library and providing afterschool academic support for elementary school students at Chester Eastside, Inc. (CEI). Supervision is received from the Library Director and the CEI Executive Director.
Under the general direction of organizations’ Directors promotes and supports the commitment that all people should have access to education, technology, services, and materials that are necessary to participate in our society. Responsible for the successful implementation of bilingual initiatives for the J. Lewis Crozer Library and Chester Eastside, Inc. Assists in all aspects of academic, general and technical support to students and library patrons of all ages including outreach programs and services to communities in Chester. Works collaboratively with library and CEI staff to oversee and maintain bilingual print and digital collections.
- Develop print and online materials to support organizations’ bilingual initiatives
- Collaborate with Library staff to help plan and implement programming and services for all ages, particularly children ages 0 – 14
- Prepare thematic annual lesson plans–project-oriented with measurable outcomes–and document coaching sessions for CEI Phoenix After School program
- Monitors attendance, programs, and data and assists in the formulation of reports
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the organizations’ bilingual collections
- Cultivate and maintain a supportive and engaging environment for youth to facilitate active learning and promote their sense of agency
- Support and promote children’s safety, well-being, and healthy growth and development in a manner that reflects best practices of child development and family support philosophy
- May work collaboratively with CEI Wellness Center staff to extend services and support to children, adults, and families
Education, Experience & Skills:
- Preference is given to those with or have experience in working with children or who are working toward training or a degree in the field of child development, education, or library science
- Demonstrated teaching experience with children ages 5-14
- Ability to develop meaningful relationships with community members, organizations’ staff, and colleagues
- Demonstrate knowledge of general literacy skills, child and adolescent development, informal learning environments, and interest-driven activities
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and Spanish
- Outstanding organizational skills and the proven ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and initiative to work both as part of a team and independently
- Valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation for outreach and programming
- Current Pennsylvania State Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Clearance, and a Pennsylvania Criminal Background Clearance are required
- Job allows for variance in work routine and may require standing, walking, bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Job requires occasional strenuous effort in the handling of boxes or materials.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.
How to Apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references, to email@example.com – Subject line should read: Bilingual Services Associate/Instructor (Spanish). Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.